Crime Reports

Portions of crime reports are considered public records and may be released to the general public. Be advised that not all reports can be released when requested. You can only receive a crime report if you are an authorized person such as the victim, the victim’s representative, or as provided in Section 6254 of the Government Code.

Call the Records Division prior to going to the Police Department to determine if the report can be released. Not all reports are Public Records (for example: Child Abuse reports, Medical/Mental Illness reports, Arrest reports not adjudicated and reports that are under investigation). Also, certain information, including telephone numbers, social security numbers and other identifying numbers, the names and addresses of victims of confidential crimes (including sex crimes, domestic violence, and stalking) the statements of involved parties, the identity of suspects who have not yet been arrested, and the analysis and conclusions of investigative personnel are exempt from public disclosure and will be redacted (blacked out) from reports released to the public. Juvenile reports may require special approval from the Juvenile Court.

If you are a defendant in a case, the report will be given to you by your attorney through the district attorney’s office. You can reach the district attorney’s office by calling  530-582-7841 .

To obtain a copy of a police report in person, come to 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Monday thru Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm (closed all major holidays). You will fill out a request form at that time and show us your photo ID.

To request a copy of a police report by mail, print out the request form or provide the following information:

  • The name(s) and address(es) of the victim(s).
  • The insurance policy number if the requestor is an insurance company.
  • A release from the victim if the request is from an attorney.
  • The type of report – robbery, assault, etc.
  • The date and location of occurrence.
  • A report (case) number, if known.

Also include a legible copy of the requesters photo ID.

Mail this information to:


The police department may charge ten cents per page for copies of police reports.

Police reports cannot be faxed unless requested by a Law Enforcement Agency!

Courtesy Counter Report can be found here.

Traffic Collision Reports

Traffic collision reports take on average of ten days from the date of the accident to be ready for release. If there are injuries or a fatality, this can be much longer. Traffic collision reports will be released only to parties involved in the collision and their insurance companies or attorneys. The copying fee is the same as for other police reports.

For more information about obtaining a copy of a report, call the Records Division at  530-550-2323.

Traffic Collision Report can be found here.

Local Business Emergency Contact Form

Situations such as open doors or windows, vandalism, burglaries, and alarms often occur and are discovered after usual business hours.  In these instances, the Town of Truckee Police Department would need the business owner or an employee to respond to assist with securing the building and contributing necessary information for report purposes. The purpose of providing this information to the Town of Truckee Police and Fire Department is to assist our public safety agencies in locating business owners or responsible employees when and if a problem arises. Situations such as odor, smoke, or smoke/sprinkler alarms where a business may be jeopardized, Truckee Fire Protection District would need to reach someone from the Business Emergency Contact Form for the business to obtain essential information.  

Local Business Emergency Contact form can be found here.