What can I do to expedite the process?

There are three main things you can do: 1) Have the 2020 Donner Lake sticker and/or a current Tahoe sticker. 2) Have the self-inspection form filled out prior to arriving at the launch and in the watercraft. 3) Make sure you pull your bilge plug after you boat for the day and that your boat is clean, drain and dry before you complete a selfinspection.

How can I make sure there isn't a long line at the boat launch?

Coming during off peak hours (Monday-Thursday and after 1 pm) will help to ensure that you do not have a line at the inspection station.

How long will the inspection process take, and if I need a decontamination where can that be done?

A typical inspection will take 5-10 minutes. Decontaminations are available at the Truckee-Tahoe Watercraft Station located off HWY 267 and Truckee Airport Road, on Chandelle Way.

What happens if I bring my boat into Donner Lake without a current program sticker and self-inspection form?

You may be subject to a fine of $100 for the first violation and up to $500 for subsequent violations.

Can I launch at Donner Lake with a current Tahoe sticker?

Yes, however to re-launch in Lake Tahoe the watercraft will need to be re-inspected.

What type of stickers are available?

Watercraft owner or operators will have the option of a 2020 Donner Lake sticker and/or a current Lake Tahoe sticker.

How often do I need to be inspected?

All watercraft that has been in any other body of water, other than Donner Lake or Lake Tahoe, will need to complete a self-inspection prior to re-launching in Donner Lake.

What do I need to do to launch at Donner Lake?

Prior to a watercraft without a current Lake Tahoe inspection sticker being launched into Donner Lake for the first
time in a season, the owner or operator of the watercraft shall submit a self-inspection form to the Town of
Truckee and obtain an inspection sticker for the watercraft. The completed self-inspection form for the watercraft
shall be kept in the watercraft and produced upon request of the Town of Truckee or its designee.

How can I adopt a pet?

All of our adoptable animals are placed in new homes by our partner the Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe. You may contact the Humane Society at 530-587-5948 or visit their website at http://hstt.org/adopt-pet for more information.

Where do I license my dog and what paperwork is required?

Dog licenses can be purchased online here. A current rabies certificate is required.

Is there a penalty if I license my dog late?

A $12.00 late penalty will be applied to any dog license that is obtained after the 30 day grace period, whether it is a renewal or new license. Also, failure to license a dog may result in a citation being issued.

Is a dog license required in Truckee?

Yes, a license is required for all dogs over 4 months of age. The license is verification of current rabies vaccination and is mandated through the State of California. Rabies in dogs is still common in many countries outside the United States that do not have licensing programs in place.

What is your euthanasia policy?

We are proud to have one of the lowest euthanasia rates in the country. In rare instances of a severe medical issue or a behavioral issue such as a pet that is not safe to adopt into our community, animals are euthanized. You can check out our shelter stats here

What should I do if I see a coyote?

Seeing coyotes in our community is a normal occurrence. For tips on living with Coyotes visit https://wildlife.ca.gov/Keep-Me-Wild/Coyote

What can I do about a pet I can no longer keep?

Making the decision to surrender an animal is difficult, but we’re here to help. We will work with you to see if there are resources available to assist in your situation. If you do need to surrender your pet, an appointment, a fee, and a completed pet behavior form are required.

How do I file a complaint?

All complaints are acquired in confidence. Your information is not given to the person you are filing a complaint against. File a complaint here or contact a Community Service Officer at (530) 550-2320 for additional information.

Is there a leash law in Truckee?

Common courtesy goes a long way, and it is important to respect all users of multi-use trails. Dog owners are required to keep their dogs under control by visual and voice control or by leash control. Voice and visual control requires that the owner is in the immediate presence of the animal and can demonstrate effective control of the animal.

Who should I call about snow removal?

Please see the Town of Truckee’s  snow removal webpage. The department of Public Works may also be reached at (530) 582-7707.

Why are there parking meters Downtown?

  • To better manage parking
  • To provide funding for capital improvements, ongoing maintenance and snow removal
  • To eliminate general taxpayer subsidy of Downtown parking

Why are there no parking meters in front of each parking space?

  • To avoid having 400 meters Downtown
  • There are 30 multi-space parking meter kiosks placed throughout Downtown
  • The parking meters are easy to use and accept coin, credit cards and Truckee Card
  • The parking meters do not accept dollar bills due to jamming issues

Where are the parking meters located?

  • The meters are located at approximately every seventh parking space throughout Downtown
  • There are “Pay Here to Park” signs indicating the meter locations

How do I use the parking meter?

  • Insert coins, credit card or Truckee Card. Time may be purchased in three minute increments with coin payment and in two hour minimums with a credit card.
  • Once the amount of time needed is shown on the screen, push the green button to print a receipt.
  • Place the receipt face up on the dashboard of your car.

What are the hours of operation of paid parking?

Parking is enforced daily (including weekends and holidays) from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

What should I do if I see a bear?

We’re lucky to live so close to wildlife. It is possible to share space and safely coexist with native species. If a bear is causing property damage or a public safety issue, you may contact the Truckee Police Department at (530) 550-2320. You may also contact the Bear League at 530-525-7297 or visit their website at http://savebears.org/.

Who should I call about snow removal?

Please see the Town of Truckee’s  snow removal webpage. The department of Public Works may also be reached at (530) 582-7707.

Who do I report pot holes in roads to?

The Department of Public Works – (530) 582-7707.

I've just received a ticket. What do I do now?

The court should send you a courtesy notice within three weeks from the issue date stating the bail or fine amount for the violation(s).  This notice will also provide information for paying the fine or contesting the violation(s).  If you haven’t received the courtesy notice within three weeks of receiving your ticket, call the Traffic Court at (530) 362-4309.   It is your responsibility to contact the Traffic Court within 21 days of the ticket date if you do not receive a courtesy notice.

IMPORTANT:  When you signed the ticket, also known as a Notice to Appear, you promised to appear in court on the date and time listed on the citation.  Failing to do so could result in additional charges (California Vehicle Code 40508).  A courtesy notice is just that, a courtesy.  If you do not receive a courtesy notice from the court it does not absolve you of your requirement to appear in court. 

Can I just pay the ticket by mail and not appear in court?

If your case does not require a mandatory court appearance, you may send the payment indicated on your courtesy notice in full by personal check, cashier’s check or money order.
Credit cards are not accepted at this time.

Where does my traffic fine go?

The money from traffic fines is collected by the court, forwarded to the county, and then divided among various state, county and city agencies according to a complex formula under state law.

How can I get in touch with the Property and Evidence Division?

The Property and Evidence Division is responsible for the receipt, documentation, storage and tracking of all police evidence, found property and safekeeping property. Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday. Appointments are necessary to pick up property and evidence.

If you have lost property and are inquiring if it was turned into the police department call (530) 550-2338. The police department is located at Town Hall at 10183 Truckee Airport Rd. Truckee, CA 96161

What should I do if my property is lost or stolen?

If your property has been lost or stolen you should file a report by calling (530) 550-2320. If you have a record of the serial number on the item or an owner applied number give this to the officer.

When may I claim my property that was taken for safekeeping?

Owners may pick up their property after calling and making an appointment. If the property is not picked up within 60 days the unclaimed items will be given to a charitable organization, or be disposed.

When may I claim my property that was booked as evidence?

All evidence that is held in which a person was arrested or cited, the police department must receive a District Attorney confirmation that the case is closed on all defendants. In some cases the property may not be released immediately due to pending further investigations or appeals.

How can I get my firearms back that were taken as Evidence or Safekeeping?

Pursuant to California Penal Code §33850, upon notification from the Truckee Police Department that the firearm(s) is available for release, the individual seeking the return of the firearm shall submit an application for a determination by the Department of Justice as to whether he/she is eligible to possess a firearm.  Further information may be obtained by calling Property and Evidence at (530) 550-2338.

Any person who claims title to any firearm, ammunition, and/or ammunition feeding device that is in the custody or control of a court or law enforcement agency and wishes to have the items returned shall submit a Law Enforcement Release Application to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to determine whether he/she is eligible to possess such items (§ 33850 Penal Code). The application is available online at Bureau of Firearms, California Department of Justice https://oag.ca.gov/firearms. It may take up to 8 weeks to process the application. The letter, once received, is only valid for 30 days. It would be in your best interest to contact the Field & Evidence Specialist before submitting the application to DOJ to make sure that the item(s) is available for release.

If the firearm, ammunition, and/or ammunition feeding device was taken for safekeeping, the owner must start the clearance process with DOJ within 180 days. The owner must then provide the clearance letter to this agency within 30 days of receipt. If the owner is prohibited from ownership and the items are not illegal, he/she may sell/transfer the firearm, ammunition, and/or ammunition feeding device to a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to § 33850(b) Penal Code.  Per §33875 Penal Code, failure to claim the items within 180 days will result in destruction of the items. A storage fee of $50 per firearm may be charged for any firearms held for safekeeping.

What type of identification is needed to pick up property?

A valid driver’s license or state ID card, military ID or passport.

May someone else pick up my property?

If it is necessary for someone else to pick up your property, the police department must receive a notarized letter of authorization from you, along with the proper ID.

What can I do about "identity theft"?

If you become the victim of identity theft, it is important to act immediately to stop the thief’s further use of your identity.

Immediately contact all your credit card issuers. Get replacement cards with new account numbers. Ask that the old accounts be processed as “account closed at consumer’s request.” (This is better than “card lost or stolen,” because when this statement is reported to credit bureaus, it can be interpreted as blaming you for the loss.)

1. Call the fraud units of the three credit reporting companies: TRW, Equifax, and Trans Union. Report the theft of your credit cards and/or numbers. Ask that your accounts be flagged. Also, add a victim’s statement to your report such as, “My ID has been used to apply for credit fraudulently. Contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX (your phone number) to verify all applications.”

2. Notify your bank(s) of the theft. Cancel your checking and savings accounts and obtain new account numbers. Ask the bank to issue you a secret password that must be used in every transaction. Put stop payments on any outstanding checks that you are unsure of.

3. If you use the ATM card for banking services, get a new card, account number, and password. Do not use your old password. When creating a password, avoid such commonly used numbers as the last four digits of your Social Security number and your birth date.

4. If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to Telecheck and National Processing Company (NPC). These check guarantee companies will flag your file so that bogus checks will be turned down. Call Telecheck at 800-366-2425. Call NPC at 800-526-5380.

5. Call your telephone, electrical, gas and water utilities. Alert them to the possibility that someone may attempt to open new service using your identification. Also contact your long distance company.

6. The nearest office of the Consumer Credit Counseling Service might be able to help you remove fraudulent claims from your credit report. Call 800-388-2227.

7. In dealing with the authorities and financial institutions, keep a log of all conversations, including dates and names. Send correspondence by certified mail. Keep copies of all letters and documents. Provide your police report number to expedite reporting the crime.

8. Consider seeking legal counsel, especially if you have difficulty clearing up your credit history, or your case is complex and involves a lot of money. An attorney can help you recover from the fraud and determine whether your rights under various credit banking, SSN, and other laws have been violated.

Credit Reporting Bureaus
Copy of Report: P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241
Dispute Report: P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0256
Order Credit Report: 800-685-1111
Opt Out of Marketing Lists: 800-219-1251
Report Fraud: 800-525-6285

Trans Union
Copy of Report: P.O. Box 7000
North Olmstead, OH 44070
Dispute Report: P.O. Box 403
Springfield, PA 19064
Order Credit Report: 800-851-2674
Opt Out of Marketing Lists: 800-241-2858
Report Fraud: 800-680-7289

Copy of Report:
Dispute Report: Experian National Consumer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013-2104
Order Credit Report: 888-397-3742
Opt Out of Marketing Lists: 800-353-0809 

How can I contest a parking violation?

A person can contest a parking violation by coming into the lobby of Police Department to fill out an appeal form. Hours are: Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. We are closed legal holidays and weekends.

You may also click here to download the parking appeal form.
You have 21 days from the parking citation issue date to file an appeal (or 14 days from the date a delinquent notice is mailed.)

If you do not do it within the allotted time frame, you forfeit all rights to challenge the citation. You may mail, deliver or fax your request to: Truckee Police Dept. Records Division 10183 Truckee Airport Rd. Truckee, CA 96161 Fax: (530) 582-7771.

How can I get my car out of storage?

If a vehicle was impounded for 30 days because the driver had no license or had a suspended license, a hearing can be requested by calling  (530) 550-2323  or by coming down to the Truckee Police Department.

No hearing is required if the 30-day impound period has lapsed. The registered owner or their authorized agent can claim a stored/impounded vehicle by coming to lobby of the Police Department, presenting proper identification, and paying a $163.00 administrative fee for a release form to take to the tow yard. (This fee is waived if the vehicle was stolen or if the driver was hospitalized in an accident.) The person obtaining the release must have a valid driver’s license or be accompanied by someone who does. The vehicle must have current registration or have a temporary operating permit before it can be released.

If a vehicle was impounded for evidence, the owner may obtain a release once the Police Department has completed its investigation. Call the Police Department at  (530) 550-2323 to determine who the investigating officer is and discuss the release with him/her

How can I find out if my vehicle has been towed?

You can call the non-emergency dispatch number at (530) 550-2320, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to find out. Give your vehicle license plate number to the dispatcher.

They will run a status check on your vehicle and let you know if it has been impounded.

How can I report an abandoned vehicle?

To report an abandoned vehicle on the public street, call the Town of Truckee Vehicle Abatement Division at (530) 550-2320 and ask for a Community Service Officer to contact you.

What can be done about illegally parked vehicles, such as those blocking a driveway?

Call the Police Department’s non-emergency number at (530) 550-2320, and an officer will be dispatched.

If the person who reported the illegally parked vehicle lives at the location, goes out to meet the officer, and explains to them that he or she lives at the location and cannot leave the driveway due to its being blocked, the officer can impound the vehicle.

How do I file a traffic accident report?

It is the policy of the Truckee Police Department to complete a traffic collision report under the following circumstances:

• The traffic collision occurred within the Town of Truckee limits.
• A person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaint of pain is considered injury) or dies.
• One of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• One of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
• Town property is involved (Town vehicle, light post, signal post, etc.)

If any of the above conditions are met at the scene of a traffic collision, the Truckee Police Department should be notified in one of the following manners: 9-1-1 (in case of an emergency).
If it’s not an emergency, use the dispatch telephone number (530) 550-2320.

In addition to filing a traffic collision report with the Truckee Police Department, it may also be necessary to file Department of Motor Vehicles Form SR-1A: www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/formsaccident
Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles web page for more information on state reporting requirement for traffic collisions: www.dmv.ca.gov

If the traffic collision was property damage only and none of the special conditions mentioned above exists, you may file a “Counter Report” at the lobby of the Truckee Police Department located at 10183 Truckee Airport Rd Truckee, CA Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM. The report should be made as soon as possible. The person reporting the collision needs to bring along the following information:

• The time and location (street address/cross streets) where the collision occurred.
• The license plate number of the vehicle he or she was driving when they were involved in the traffic collision.
• Driver’s license
• Insurance information (name of the insurance company and their policy number).
• The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers in their vehicle
• If known, the license plate numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved drivers and passengers.

How can I obtain a copy of a traffic report?

To obtain a copy of a traffic report, you can come to the Records Division at 10183 Truckee Airport Road Truckee, CA Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM and request a copy.

What about Traffic School?

Eligibility to attend traffic school is handled by the Traffic Court.  For further information please call the court at (530) 362-4309 or click here for their website. 

Where does the Town install crosswalks?

Crosswalks may be located at signalized and unsignalized intersections or at mid-block locations. Crossings at intersections with higher levels of pedestrian traffic are more likely to be marked with a crosswalk, whereas intersections with lower levels of pedestrian traffic are less likely to be marked. In addition, mid-block crosswalks are not recommended unless accompanied with physical features (such as a center island). When determining where a crosswalk should be located and how it should be marked, several roadway and pedestrian characteristics are examined such as: the speed limit of the roadway, traffic volumes, number of travel lanes, road width, presence of center islands, pedestrian traffic volumes, pedestrian behaviors, visual clearance, and collision data. Efforts are made to mark crossings at convenient and safe locations. However, pedestrians should always remain “heads up” when using crosswalks as markings and signs do not protect against inattentive drivers.

Can additional speed limit signs or stop signs be installed on my street?

In general, the Town has a policy to limit the amount of signage throughout town to minimize sign pollution and maintain small town character. When deciding whether or not to place a new sign we consider several factors including legal and technical appropriateness, likely effectiveness of the requested signage to change driver behavior, maintenance of a consistent approach throughout the community, and effective use of public resources. Studies have suggested speed limit signs do not significantly modify driver behavior, and drivers tend to disregard signs in the long term. Per California regulations, stop signs should be used for traffic control at intersections and not for regulating speeds.

Why doesn’t the Town install speed humps or speed bumps?

Speed humps and speed bumps are vertical obstacles in the road extending across a travel way to slow vehicle speeds. They are made of asphalt, concrete, plastic, rubber, or metal. The Town does not recommend installing speed humps or bumps on publicly maintained roads due to their lack of effectiveness, impediment to snow removal operations, and installation and maintenance costs.

Information provided by neighboring jurisdictions has shown that speed humps have not been effective at significantly reducing vehicle speeds, reducing speeds by only 1 or 2 mph and in some cases resulting in higher speeds.

Additional issues with speed humps include:

  • Interference with emergency vehicle response times.
  • Increased traffic noise levels from engines revving over the speed humps.
  • Increased acceleration between the speed humps.
  • Increase in vehicle exhaust emissions from acceleration after going over speed humps.

Can the speed limit on my street be lowered?

Operating speeds are based on the visual scene and characteristics of the roadway more than by the posted speed limit.  As a result, changes in the posted speed limit have little to no effect on vehicle speeds.  A nationwide study collected speed data from 100 sites across 22 states where posted speed limits were either raised or lowered by increments of 5 mph.  Review of the before and after speed data revealed that changes in speed were generally 2 miles per hour.  Changing the posted speed limit did not have a significant effect on modifying driver behavior.  

All roads in Truckee are categorized as local roads per the California Vehicle Code definition.  The speed limit is set at 25 MPH (Town Municipal Code 10.05.020 Town Prima Facie Speed) for most roads in Truckee unless a higher speed limit is determined to be appropriate.  Under this circumstance, the Town typically establishes speed limits based on the 85th percentile speeds which is the speed that 85 percent of vehicles are traveling at or below.  The 85th percentile speed is used because it reflects a collective judgment of the vast majority of drivers as to a reasonable speed for given roadway conditions.  Considerations are also made with regard to infrastructure and traffic conditions, such as:  roadway pavement widths, shoulder widths, curves, driveway density, potential for and volume of bicycle and pedestrian traffic, and collision rates.  Lowering a speed limit below the 85th percentile speed does not necessarily improve safety or result in voluntary motorist compliance.   

What can I do to help speeding concerns in my neighborhood?

Set the pace! Drive at or below the speed limit and observe all rules of the road.

Report speeding incidents to the Truckee Police Department. If you notice vehicles speed at a particular time of day, or day of the week, provide that information. You may make a request for additional enforcement.

Lead by example! Drive the speed limit and follow all driving rules.

How do I request a radar speed feedback sign?

Speed feedback signs remind drivers of the speed at which they are traveling in relation to the posted speed limit. However, local observations show that drivers pay more attention to them when they are newly placed and tend to disregard them over time.

The Town Council adopted the Radar Speed Sign Policy in 2013, available on the Town of Truckee website here:  Radar Speed Sign Policy. The policy identifies a limited number of locations for permanent radar speed feedback signs to be considered for installation if certain requirements are met.

The Truckee Police Department has a temporary radar speed feedback sign that is kept in continuous rotation in various areas throughout Town as weather permits.