Criminal History Requests

The Truckee Police Department can check your local criminal history for the Town of Truckee only. The Town of Truckee Police Department came into existence in Sept. 2001, so for records prior to that date, please contact the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department at  530-550-2320.

You must come in person, show identification, and fill out the request form. We will call you when your letter is ready to be picked up.

The fee for a local clearance letter, or “letter of good conduct” as they are sometimes called, is $27.00, credit card, cash, or check.

If you want to check your statewide criminal history, you must contact the Department of Justice at  (916) 227-3822. To obtain your nationwide criminal history (for states other than California) you must contact the FBI at  (202) 324-3000.

You CANNOT check anyone else’s criminal history. It is not public information. You can however, check public conviction records at the court either in person or through a private background investigative agency.

If you have any questions about criminal histories or background checks, call  (530) 550-2323.